Official Website of Weinwirtschaft Kaltern am See | Südtirol | Italien
The "Kalterer Plent"

Far and wide there are only vineyards and fruit orchards to be seen and not a trace of a corn field. Have you noticed that? In fact, polenta... >

Kaltern am SeeBolzano Vigneti e DolomitiSüdtirol Alto Adige

Videos from Kaltern and surround. Some impressions of the south.

History

Church of St. Peter
Church of St. Peter

around 500 AD the church of St. Peter (ruins remain today) in Altenburg was built.
1220 “vinum de Caldaro”(wine from Kaltern)is documented
1250 a wine measurement, the “urna de Caldarium”, is documented
1268 Conrad Campaner erects the Campan castle
1286 the Lords of Rottenburg acquire the Kaltern Tribunal
1363/1366/1369 devastating frost – vines destroyed
1536 first documentation of Kaltern’s copper pot coat of arms
1550-1600 heyday of the “Überetscher” style
1614 devastating vine damage from vine leafroller grubs
1681 first official reference of the “Markt Caltern”
1748 over 100 deaths from the plague within two months
around 1750 the last wine presses are constructed
1850 mildew threatens wine cultivation
1878 establishment of the volunteer fire department
1879/80 and 1890/91 the last major vine frost
1880/85 construction of the Mendel mountain pass road
around 1890 drainage of the swamp south of Lake Kalterersee
1900 establishment of the first wine growers’ cooperative
1901 first automobile on the Mendel mountain pass
1902 destructive vine damage from phylloxera
1903 inauguration of the funicular to the Mendel mountain pass
1908 construction of the school building in the village square
1919 South Tyrol becomes a part of Italy
1932 Kaltern becomes an arch parish
1935 mobile motorized pesticide sprayers are introduced
1955 completion of the South Tyrolean Wine Road “Weinstraße”

back to overview
scroll top